Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) has been used to treat fertility problems for over 5,000 years. Infertility is not uncommon in China, but success rates are higher, as the option for TCM treatment is utilized more frequently. Researchers from Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York have concluded that acupuncture:
- Increases blood flow to the uterus, thus thickening the uterine lining, which improves the chances of an ovum implanting on the uterine wall.
- Reduces anxiety, stress, and hormones secreted during stressful situations – such as cortisol – which significantly decreases fertility.
- Normalizes the systems that regulate ovulation, especially in women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).
- Positively affects the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis, which plays a major role in fertility.
- Regulates the menstrual cycles.
Additionally, acupuncture has been proven effective in:
- Strengthening the immune system
- Lessening the side effects of drugs used in IVF or other western productive techniques
- Preventing the uterus from contracting
- Improving sperm motility and volume
- Decreasing the chances of miscarriage